One of the most common types of arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, is still baffling scientists the world over. Patients suffering from this disease face pain and swelling in the joints of bones. The suffering can be reduced by following a carefully devised diet plan that is based on an Indian diet chart.
Vulnerabilities of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is suspected to be the result of aging and consumption of unhealthy food items. It is found to be more prevalent in women over the age of 40 years. Another cause is the presence of uric acid in unusually high levels in the human body.
Suggested food items for patients suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis
The suggested Arthritis Diet Plan for patients having rheumatoid arthritis can be broken down into four categories:
- Vegetables and Fruits: Papaya, Cucumber, Apple, Drumstick, Pointed Gourd (Parwal), Indian Round Gourd (Tinda), Bitter Gourd (Karela), and Bottle Gourd (Lauki).
- Lentils (Dal): Red Lentil (Masoor Dal), Pigeon Peas (Arhar Dal), and Mung Bean (Moong Dal).
- Grains: Wheat, Barley, and Old Rice. Old rice is preferred because of the dried and dehydrated nature of rice grains.
- Other Foods: Buttermilk, Creamless Milk, Lukewarm Water, Ghee, Garlic, Ginger, Rock Salt, Black Salt, Oil, Black Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Castor Oil, Asafetida (Hing), Celery, and Fennel.
Food items to be avoided while suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis
A patient with rheumatoid arthritis should avoid the following food items:
- Vegetables and Fruits: Root vegetables such as Potato, Carrots, and Radish, Mustard Vegetables, Ladyfinger.
- Lentils (Dal): Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana), Chickpea (Chana), Garbanzo Beans Kabuli Chana), and Peas.
- Grain: Refined Wheat (Maida) and New Rice.
- Other Foods: Fish, Milk, Yoghurt, Jaggery, Cold Drinks, Chilled Water, Cold Food, Excess Salt, Impure Water, Dry Vegetables, Hard-to-Digest and Fried Items, Food Infected with Fungus.
- Food Items to be Strictly Avoided: Spicy and Oily Food, Food Prepared from Refined Flour, Fast Foods, Pickles, Oily Food, Canned Food, JunkFood, and Non-Vegetarian Soup.
Suggested Rheumatoid Arthritis Diet Plan with an Indian touch
- Immediately After Waking Up
- Before brushing your teeth, consume a glass of lukewarm water on an empty stomach.
- Take some Aloe Vera juice and Indian Gooseberry (Amla) before having your breakfast.
- For Breakfast
- Single-cup of coffee or tea made from low-fat milk.
- Poha / Upma (Semolina) / Sprouted Grains / Oatmeal (Namkeen Dalia) / 2-3 Multigrain Biscuits / Fruit Salad (Apple, Banana, Papaya).
- For Lunch
- A couple of thinly cooked chapatis (Indian Bread).
- 1 plate of green salad.
- 1 bowl of boil green vegetables.
- 1 1 bowl of moong dal.
- Evening Tea-Time Snack
- Any beverage that has low-fat.
- A couple of biscuits or a cup of vegetable soup.
- For Dinner
- A couple of thin chapatis.
- 1 bowl full of moong dal.
- 1 bowl of green vegetables that are rich in fiber.
- Half an hour before Bedtime
- Mix 15 ml castor oil in 1 cup of milk or lukewarm water and drink it 30 minutes before you sleep.
Focus Areas for Patients Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Avoid internal organ injuries
- Maintain a bare minimum physical movement of the body and bone joints by exercising
- Regulate your weight. If it is beyond the normal range, consider doing some activities to shed some weight.
- Avoid stretching of muscles and joints.
Some Basic Things to Look After if Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Try to wake up early, before sunrise if possible.
- Take proper care of dental hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day and cleaning your tongue every day.
- Practice Yoga and Meditation every day.
- Eat freshly cooked warm means, in a calm and quiet place, with a positive mind and a smile on your face.
- Span out your meals into 3-4 times a day but don’t skip meals.
- Try to fast once a week.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- Each meal should be followed by a 3–5-minute walk as it helps with digestion.
- Avoid staying up late at night and sleep early instead.
While Rheumatoid Arthritis is a painful disease, the pain and agony can be overcome by following a carefully planned diet plan with natural supplements and maintaining the basic physical activity of the body.